I had friends over to celebrate Pi Day on Tuesday. We made pie. I failed to get a photo of the pies that everyone made! I don’t know how I forgot to do that. I’m hoping someone did…
I made an apple pie and I made a grape pie. The grape pie, being a novelty, was a devoured! Nothing left of that one. I think everyone loved it. Here’s the before the grape pie went in the oven – so you can easily see the design of the kite and the Greek letters for our sorority: Kappa Alpha Theta. This was an official (fun) meeting for my local Alumnae Chapter. It’s a great group – we have a lot of fun. [If you want to support a REALLY GREAT CAUSE to help children be fully represented in the courts, our philanthropy is CASA/GAL, please click on this link.]
ok. That’s done. [Claps the flour off my hands… I looked for the right GIF but alas, nope.]
To the TOB:
I have decided to attempt a ranking of the 17 books I read for TOB. A snapshot of my favorites as of today, because I find my appreciations are changing as the rounds play out.
FAVORITE to LEAST:
- My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout – voted out on 3/13
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi – moving to next round 3/16
- Black Wave by Michelle Tea – out on 3/9 (this was the take-me-by-surprise, loved-it-at-the-end book. PIE!)
- The Nix by Nathan Hill – a fun one for St. Patrick’s Day
- Mister Monkey by Francine Prose – battles Sudden Death 3/20
- Version Control / Dexter Palmer – kicks out my fave 3/13
- Grief is the Thing With Feathers – Max Porter – UNDERDOG? 3/15
- The Mothers – Brit Bennett – Mothers continues 3.14 (lots of pie 🙂 )
- High Dive By Jonathon Lee – out to the Mothers 3/14
- The Vegetarian by Han Kang – loses to the Birds 3/10
- Underground Railroad by Whitehead – steamrolling along 3/9
- All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders – loved it and also seemed to fizzle out. Moving up the bracket 3/10
- Sudden Death by Alvaro Enrigue – Play-in round winner! 3/8
- The Throwback Special by Chris Bachelder – had some beautiful sentences. Bounced out in play-in round 3/8
- We Love You Charlie Freeman by Kathleen Greenridge – too much and too little.
- Sweet Lamb of Heaven by L Millet – wanted to love but just puzzled me. Had lots of pie! Voted off the island 3/16
- Moonglow by Chabon – the more I think about it, the less I liked it; me being curmudgeony.
- The Sport of Kings by CEMorgan – sadly didn’t read, might try via aBook
I’m enjoying AND participating some in the comments! YAY ME. I have added a few books mentioned to the towering toppling tbr, too.
Tomorrow is The Nix vs. We Love You Charlie Freeman! and be sure to wear green, it’s St. Patrick’s Day…